Translate

Sunday, October 31, 2021

Ring Binge

 I went on a ring binge. I haven't made any beaded rings in a long time, but I decided I would make a few to sell at the Red Tulip Gallery in New Hope, PA. I had a lot of fun making the rings, trying several different techniques in the process. 

First up, a Lapis Lazuli solitaire bead surrounded by turquoise Swarovski crystals and silver seed beads. To make this ring, I used bead weaving. First, I bezeled the lapis lazuli bead. Then, the band was made using right-angle-weave and a second pass through the band to fill in the "gaps" along the top and bottom edge with more silver seed beads. Passing through the band several times stiffened the beadwork enough so that I was happy with the results. I want all of the bands to be firm. Notice that I used large silver seed beads instead of crystals at the center back--for comfort when wearing the ring.











Continuing with Swarovski crystals, I made a band with a dozen tanzanite AB2X crystals across the top. The band uses Czech fire polished beads and more silver seed beads. It is also right-angle-weave, but stitched lengthwise instead of across the width as in the Lapis ring. This also makes a very comfortable and almost rigid band. This ring is so sparkly, it was hard to photograph!



A peyote band simply embellished with 7 scarlet red Swarovski crystals is next. Matte silver Delica beads were used for the band. I wanted the peyote-stitched band to be narrow at the back, for comfort when wearing, so I stepped down the width of the band twice.



While I was on my ring binge, I dug through my UFOs (UnFinished Objects) to find a "Flying 5 Wing Cocktail Ring" that I had almost finished a few years ago when I was trying out the techniques of the Contemporary Geometric Beadwork project. Kim Van Antwerp's instructions for this fabulous ring are available in the CGB free pattern library here. I finished the ring and I really love it. It is surprisingly comfortable to wear, as are all of the beaded rings I've made--probably because of the flexibility of the beadwork. This ring isn't for sale, as I plan to always wear it when I'm staffing at the Red Tulip Gallery, in the hopes of starting conversations about my beadwork!

I thought a ring made with a warped square would be interesting and I wanted to use Swarovski crystals at the center of the warped square. So I did a little experiment with a raised center and it worked! I started at the center of the warped square with 4 Swarovski crystals. After a few rounds, I made a "point edge" and then 3 more rounds of peyote for the "sides." Then I continued with the increases for the warped square. This is also surprisingly comfortable and easy to wear, even though it is a large ring.

Finally, a ring made using Artistic Wire, a coin-shaped freshwater pearl in a beautiful burgundy color, and gold seed beads. The violet Artistic Wire (28 gauge) peeks through the gold seed beads and the effect is very nice! Because I wove the band with wire passed through the beads, it is completely rigid. I like the simplicity of the single coin pearl.

The rings are currently for sale in the Red Tulip Gallery and through my section of the gallery's online store










No comments:

Post a Comment